view from my room

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Detroit Day 2

Well, there guys it's 2.40am here and I've just driven back from Berkley (hire care is a dark blue Nissan saloon). I went along with Cris from the hostel, to meet a bloke who is an DJ here in Detroit. He told me about his parents back garden and that it has lots of deer in it. Most of the time he spoke with Cris about electronic music- Chris is also a DJ and from Manchester.

So since yesterday loads seems to have happened. With it been the first time that I've travelled, since a child,  with no language barrier, things seem to be quite easy and happening at an ok speed. Hostel Detroit is amazing (if you minus out the hipsterx2- they may well grow on me) I'll get some photos of it up soon. Emily, the woman who runs it, is one of the most excellent people I've ever met- full of enthuiasm, passion and drive. She set up this Hostel with the help of many volunteers and has created something quiet wonderful- a real space that feels like home.

On the other hand, as I've been staying in Downtown Detroit (Corktown) then I've seen a lot of both very odd but very sad stuff. The level of poverty in the USA is particually hard to take here, currently sat discussing the strange view of a neighbour mowing his lawn, while his house was half falling down behind him. I feel like I'm constantly flashing my affluence and it doesn't sit with me all that well.


On a lighter note, I managed to sneak 3 pairs of illegal shoes into the USA. Apparently, if you've been on a farm or work with livestock, the shoes you wore in said argicultural setting, are not permitted in the country- therefore one must lie inorder to retain ones shoes. Driving here has also proving a challenge- I may have been conditioned too well for driving on the left, therefore been quiet a bit of driving on the wrong side of the road. I suspect (hope!) that this will improve in time. New sat nav hates me and plays many tricks on me. Tomorrow I'm visiting the Heidelberg Project (http://www.heidelberg.org/) and sorting out my volunteering there with them. Check out their website it's really quite great looking.

Today I feel that Detroit is an amazing place, filled with lovely and bizarre people. No one has said anything unpleasant or unhelpful so far.

I will update you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment